I'm a big fan of one bowl meals. Casseroles, stir frys, pastas, salads...basically anything that puts the entire meal in one giant bowl. Sometimes, though, I find myself having a meal more comparable to the standard protein-veggies-grains concept. These are my favorite easy sides for those meals.
makes 2 servings
- 2 medium potatoes, any kind, unpeeled (about 12 oz)
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 400F. Quarter the potatoes and toss with olive oil and spices.
Pour into a prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes, remove the foil, and then back into the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
Nutritional information (for 1/2 with red potatoes): 200 calories, 4.6g fat (0.5g sat), 37g carbs (4g fiber), 4.5g protein
Honey Butter Carrots
makes 2 servings
from Sunny Anderson
- 1/2 lb baby carrots (8 oz)
- 1 Tb. butter (or Earth Balance)
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1 Tb. lemon juice
Nutritional information (for 1/2): 123 calories, 5.6g fat (1.8g sat), 19g carbs (2g fiber), 0.8g protein
A while back, Alexia sent me some great products to review. I actually had these absolutely FABULOUS mashed potatoes over a month ago (yikes!) but the "meat"loaf we had them with was much less than stellar so I was waiting to share them.
Alexia Mashed Red Potatoes
makes about 5 servings
- 1 bag Alexia frozen Mashed Red Potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan
- Balance calories: enjoy food, eat less, avoid over-sized portions
- Foods to increase: fruits and vegetables, half of your grains be whole grains, switch to low-fat or fat-free milk
- Foods to reduce: sodium and sugary drinks