Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spinach Feta Dip

I'm very sorry for my week long absence. It was a tough one last week. I was under the weather Monday, and I hate starting my week off sick. It was also finals week for my last class in my Associates degree so I was somewhat stressed about that. Then, on Thursday, my Grandmother passed away. I knew it was coming and had seen her for an entire week earlier this year but it still hit me pretty hard. Blogging was the last thing on my mind.


But I'm doing much better this week and I'm so excited to share one of the best dips ever! Ridiculously easy. Ridiculously good. I made this for a Bachelorette shower...unfortunately, we went out to eat right before so no one was really hungry. However, I got to enjoy this for lunch instead so I didn't mind. ;)

Spinach Feta Dip
adapted from Annie's Eats
makes 2 cups
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup organic plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup organic mayonnaise
  • 4 oz crumbled organic feta cheese
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 8 whole wheat pitas

Wanna know how easy this dip is? Three steps.


In the bowl of a food processor, pulse garlic until chopped fine. Add in the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, feta, and lemon zest.  Pulse until combined


Transfer to a large bowl and add in spinach (be sure that it is THAWED and DRAINED). Season with salt and pepper.


To make fresh pita chips, just split open the pitas and cut them into wedges. Place on a baking sheet and lightly spray with canola oil spray. Season with salt and pepper. Flip and repeat on opposite side.


Bake at 400F for 5 minutes. Flip and bake an additional 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.

Nutritional information (for 1/4 cup dip): 160 calories, 12.5g fat (2.5g sat), 4g carbs (0.5g fiber), 14g protein

(Nutritional information on the pita chips will vary depending on the pitas used and how much/what type of oil spray you use.)

This stuff is goood. As I mentioned before, I ended up having this for lunch. Dipped in both pita chips and baby carrots and they were both delicious. This dip would be a great addition to any crudité platter for summer. The lemon zest makes it taste so refreshing. I did let the dip sit in the fridge overnight, which makes the garlic and lemon flavors stronger. I was glad that I did this instead of adding more garlic or lemon, because I could barely taste either right after making it. I highly recommend that you make the pita chips yourself. It really doesn't take that long, it's easy, and they blow any packaged pita chips out of the water! The pita chips can also be made in advance, making this ideal for parties!

What's your favorite thing to take to summer parties?
I always look for something light and refreshing. Who wants to be weighed down when it's hot outside?! :)

1 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother, my thought's are with you.


That dip does look delicious! I like how you posted how to make the pita chips. I have some pita pockets in the freezer that I need to use up and I think now I know the perfect way..

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates