Monday, April 4, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Glazed Tofu

I need to get better at making tofu. At TJ's a block of organic extra firm tofu is $1.79. That's two meals' protein! And yet, I rarely use it because I just do the same old things with it: stir fry and tofu parmesan. And while this recipe is in fact a tofu stir fry (don't judge!), it's a different sauce. And it's beyond delicious. So I had to share it.


Sweet and Spicy Glazed Tofu
from Say What You Need To Say
serves 2
  • 1/2 pkg organic extra firm tofu, cut into slabs and pressed
  • 1 pkg (16 oz) Asian mixed vegetables
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (or sweet and sour sauce)*
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 Tb. hot sauce
  • 2 Tb. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp minced garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger

*I used sweet chili sauce because a) it's cheaper and b) it has less sugar than sweet and sour sauce. Also, I think it has a better flavor, instead of just being super sweet. 


After pressing the tofu, make perfect tofu. It takes a little longer to turn each piece, but I promise it's worth it. The end result is crunchy, perfectly done, and tasty!


Set the tofu aside. "Stir fry" the vegetables on medium-high heat. My version of stir "frying" doesn't use oil. I use water. Whaat? I know, it sounds insane. But 1/4 cup water added with the vegetables make them steam = crispy vegetables without the extra calories and fat!


While the veggies are cooking, prepare the sauce in a small bowl by combining the sauces, garlic, and ginger. After the veggies are cooked, add the tofu back to the pan with the sauce. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. 


After the burner cools down a bit, add the yogurt. Stir well to incorporate. Let cook until sauce has become more like a glaze. Serve with rice. 


Nutritional Information (for half with rice): 451 calories, 5.5g fat (0.1g sat), 79.6g carbs, 5.7g fiber, 22.2g protein

I loved this. For real. Not only did the Greek yogurt provide the creaminess but it also gave it a slight tang. Not too much, just enough to complement everything else. It was also the perfect amount of spice. I find General Tsao's to be overwhelming...like the whole purpose is to be spicy instead of to provide flavor

I really do need to step outside of my tofu comfort zone, though. I have 6 tofu recipes over the next two weeks. 1/2 are repeats and 1/2 are new recipes. Eeek. Any tofu recipe or cooking method suggestions?

7 comments:

fittingbackin said...

Okay - it's officially time for me to try tofu again - hopefully I'll like it this time around. :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' said...

I pretty much grab a sauce from Trader Joes, and throw it together with some tofu and veggies, too! I have to avoid soy for health reasons, so I only prepare it for my husband, who likes eating the same things all the time. :D

One thing I love to do with tofu is make a vegan lasagna! I crumble the tofu with my hands, to get a ricotta-like texture, and mix it with chopped spinach and spices, then layer as "cheese" with noodles, sauce, and fake burger crumbles. YUM!

Anonymous said...

That's a brilliant idea, Megan!! I will be trying it very soon :)

Unknown said...

I just can't enjoy tofu. I've tried it, but it's too much like eating flavored styrofoam. I just stopped by from SITS to say Hi. Hope you find time to do the same.

Krista said...

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog! I'm excited to look around yours some more.

This recipe looks really good, but I'm not gonna lie: tofu scares me! I just can't bring myself to eat it, I don't know why! haha

Unknown said...

Dang, I really wish tofu was that cheap at Publix! It's almost $3 per pack!

My favorite tofu recipe is my maple-glazed tofu - SO good! I do like it just baked with honey mustard as well

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I will have to try out this recipe, it looks delicious! I've never made a stir fry using greek yogurt and it sounds perfect for giving it a creamier consistency. I really enjoy your blog, thanks!
:)

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates