Monday, April 18, 2011

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Blondies

I love chocolate. I really do. However, I vastly prefer a blondie to a brownie. GASP. They're just so. darn. delicious. This is not a diet friendly recipe. It is pretty indulgent. And while I always advocate that a healthy diet INCLUDES sweets in moderation...an 8x8 pan of these is not moderation. So make these, enjoy one...maybe two...and then take the rest to a baby shower. :)


Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Blondies
inspired by Martha Stewart's Cookies
serves 16

Blondie Batter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 6 Tb. butter, softened
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cup AP flour (+2 Tb. if super wet)*
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Filling
  • 5 oz neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese), softened
  • 1 heaping Tb. AP flour
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tb. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tb. butter, softened

*Blondies are more fickle than brownies. If the batter is too wet, it won't cook at the same rate as the cream cheese and then it's just messy. The first time I made them, I didn't need extra flour and the second time I did. It just depends on humidity, etc. Also, the first time I made them with real cream cheese and the second with Neufchatel (low-fat)...no difference whatsoever. So save yourself the calories and fat. :)


To prepare blondie batter cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; mix until combined. 


Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.


To prepare cream cheese filling mix all ingredients together until smooth.


Spray an 8x8 pan lightly with cooking spray. Spread 2/3 blondie batter into pan. Top with cream cheese filling. Drop remaining blondie batter on top of cream cheese, "swirling" it into the cream cheese with your fingers.


Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan before cutting.

Nutritional Information (for 1/16 square): 254 calories, 9.4g fat (5.8g sat), 40g carbs (0.5g fiber), 3g protein

Now, you may look at me and say: that much for 1/16?! But trust me, these babies are INDULGENT. I was completely fine after trying one. Never had a brownie that can do that. ;)

What do you think: blondies or brownies??

6 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm team blondies all the way! I only ever eat the very edges of brownies for the crispiness and even that isn't fantastic. But blondies are!!
:)

Stephanie F said...

oh wow. i am just going to have to make these. it's just that easy.

Krista said...

OMG those look amazing!!! I have the worst sweet tooth right now and I would give just about anything to get one of those babies in mah belly now!

Carina Schoen said...

Those look AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It'd be perfect for my new idea :) Check it out if you have a minute - it's all about sharing!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing!

Inés Beatriz said...

Hello fello SITSa! These blondies look so amazing my mouth is watering!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates