Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tofu and Mushroom Lettuce Cups

I don't even know how to introduce this recipe. It's from one of my very favorite blogs, Peas and Thank You. Mama Pea always comes up with the best vegan recipes and even has a cookbook coming out soon! I already pre-ordered it last month! :D If you are looking to try tofu but want to disguise it a bit, this is the way to go. They are TASTYYY!


Tofu and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
adapted from Mama Pea
serves 2
  • 4 oz extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
  • 8 oz mushrooms
  • 2 Tb. soy sauce
  • 3 Tb. hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tb. rice vinegar
  • 2 Tb. water
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (can use 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger (can use 1 Tb. minced ginger)
  • 1/4 cup water chesnuts
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 4 romaine lettuce leaves 
  • 1 carrot or 3 baby carrots, shredded*
  • 1 Tb. sweet chili sauce, optional

*I would recommend using a large carrot. Shredding the baby carrots made me scared for my fingers. I added the sweet chili sauce as a last minute thing. It was the perfect complement but that's why it's not seen in the picture.


Cube tofu into 1/2 inch pieces. Chop the mushrooms into similar sized pieces. Dice the water chestnuts and chop the cashews.


Add tofu and mushrooms to a lightly sprayed nonstick skillet. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are wilted and tofu has some color, about 5-7 minutes.


While mixture is sauteing, measure out ginger and garlic. Then whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and water.


Sprinkle spices on tofu and mushrooms, Stir well. Reduce heat to low and add sauce. Add water chestnuts and cashews. Stir to coat and let simmer 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.  Pour 1/4 of mixture on each lettuce leaf. Top with shredded carrot and drizzle with sweet chili sauce.

Nutritional Information (for 2 filled leaves): 332 calories, 14.6g fat (3g sat), 35g carbs (4.5g fiber), 20g protein

HOLY YUM. These were beyond awesome. And easy! (It took me less than 30 minutes to make these, including chopping!) And nutritious!! This was a perfect light lunch but it could also be paired with some steamed veggies or a small portion of un-fried rice to round out the meal. And in terms of being filling, this definitely did not feel like a "light lunch". 2 thumbs up, 5 stars, or the top rating of whatever rating system you prefer! ;)

I'm becoming much better at making tofu. I've gotten the pressing and draining part down and I've learned it's just not a step you can skip. If you do, the texture is off. I've also noticed that I'm liking tofu more and more each time I make it. They say that you should feed kids new foods 7 times in order to tell if they really like it. Maybe it also applies to adults with new foods. Hmmm...

I highly recommend this recipe as a starting point for anyone wanting to try tofu. It's easy to prepare and the tofu is in such small pieces, it's hard to pick it out from the mushrooms!

Are you scared or nervous to try tofu?


4 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Yum! This looks amazing! Anything that comes wrapped in a lettuce leaf is fine by me...
:)

mary.mimi said...

I was until I tried your sweet and sour recipe last week..spicy, glad I used only 1 T of Hotsauce :) but definitely a do again...very yummy, thanks for the perfect tofu tutorial. Now trying to get my clean eaters to give it a try.

Krista said...

I think I could actually try this. I'm scared of tofu and I've never liked it, but I love mushrooms so if you're telling the truth then maybe I'd do okay with this!

CK said...

Ok, I HAVE to try this recipe. I have not been very successful at my tofu dishes (yet) but I think you have convinced me to try a little harder with the pressing and draining.
I need to get my kids eating more tofu. Did you see my post on CSA?
(http://madebybedtimetales.blogspot.com/search/label/CSA)
Thanks for stoppin' by the blog. I'll have to come back and try this recipe when my hubby gets home from his latest Navy mission...
-CK

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates