Wednesday, September 29, 2010

BBQ Tofu Sandwiches

You're not going to believe this but after this post, I will be completely caught up on my recipes! I've always had folders and folders of pictures just waiting to be posted but this is the last one. I better get cookin' for some new ideas :) This is a pretty old recipe, one I made in August and it's the perfect vegetarian summer meal!

I genuinely like tofu. Honestly, I do. I like tofu that has been manipulated to taste good (it's possible, I promise!) but I can't just fry it up normally and eat it in slabs. It's kinda weird to me. Anyway, I LOVE this recipe. Before making this recipe I thought I hated coleslaw too. Apparently not.

BBQ Tofu Sandwiches
from Eating Well, June 2010 issue
Serves 2

  • 1/2 package (14 oz) of firm tofu 
  • pinch salt
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1/4 cup prepared BBQ sauce
  • 3/4 cup coleslaw mix or finely shredded cabbage
  • 1 Tb. low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • pinch garlic powder
  • Hamburger buns, pickles, thinly sliced onions...

Cut a long slit along the edge of the tofu package and drain. Open the tofu package and place tofu on its long, narrow side and slice in half lengthwise. Slice one half in half again; place the other half in a tupperware container and cover with water. Tofu will keep in fridge for up to 7 days after open. 

(I'll admit, I didn't cut it like this. I didn't read the directions and just cut it like I normally do. I'm sure it makes for a texture difference though, so I'm definitely going to try it that way next time.) Place tofu slices on a clean dish towel and fold the towel over so the tofu is covered completely on the bottom and top. Put a heavy cookbook on top of the towel and let sit for 10 minutes. This releases some of the tofu's excess moisture and makes the final product chewier. 


Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle dry tofu slabs with salt and add to pan. Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Do not bother tofu while it's cooking! If you leave it alone, a nice, perfect crust will form!


While tofu is cooking, prepare the coleslaw by combining coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, vinegar and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in fridge while you finish the sandwiches.


After tofu is done browning, reduce heat to low. Add BBQ sauce and carefully turn tofu to coat with the sauce. Cook for 3 minutes more, or until BBQ sauce becomes bubbly and starts to reduce. 


To assemble the sandwiches, place half of the coleslaw on the bottom bun. Top with a tofu slab, a couple pickles and onion slices. Spread remaining sauce from the pan on the top bun. Serve with corn on the cob for a complete bar-be-que experience. 

Nutritional Information (1 sandwich on a whole wheat bun): 259 calories, 10 g fat (1 g sat), 12 g protein, 5 g fiber

The coleslaw makes this sandwich. This was in an article devoted to tofu recipes that everyone would enjoy. So if you're wanting to try it but don't know where to start, START HERE. It's a very easy recipe that has incredible flavors. Take a bite and I promise you'll think it's the beginning of June again. :)

I've been really sick this week. The kind of sick that keeps you out of work for two days. The throw-up, sleep all day and still not feel better kind of sick. Not to mention that I'm really not a good sick person. I go stir crazy not accomplishing anything all day. It feels like such a waste of my time. In fact, this post was written today when I had to do something but I couldn't concentrate on anything actually challenging, like homework. I really hope I can kick this thing and SOON since my sister is getting MARRIED this weekend! Wahoo! At least my dress is gorgeous and not like this...YIKES.


Other news? I've drank my weight in ginger ale this week. Not a big soda fan but that stuff is miraculous against upset stomachs. Good ole AB says it has something to do with the rhizomes or somethin. Idk, but it has helped me a lot over this past week. But it's also done a great job of making me feel bloated. That with my inability to exercise (doc says I have to take the week off) makes me very nervous about fitting into that dress on Saturday. I'll just have to do a bajillion sit-ups right before putting it on ;)

Other, other news? The stuff for my GIVEAWAY came in the mail today! YIPPEE! I'm cooking (or baking, actually...teehee) something very special for y'all so stay tuned...hopefully I'll be healthy enough to have it done and ready to go by Monday! 

Have a great weekend! Until next time...♥

1 comments:

Corinne said...

Get to feeling better soon! I have to admit I've never really considered making tofu (i've only had fried tofu before) but I'm a little closer to considering it after reading/seeing this!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates