Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Black Bean Breakfast Burritos

I wanted a breakfast burrito one day. And they're pretty cheap so I thought, why not! :) This meal is not only cheap but insanely easy and fast to prepare. Most of my meals tend to average around 30 minutes active prepping or cooking. This one? About 10!


Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
Serves 2
  • 2 8-inch flour tortillas (I used WW - and if you're vegetarian be sure to check the ingredients list for lard)
  • 4 extra large eggs*
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 2 black bean burgers, cooked and cut into pieces or 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can "Mexican" flavored tomatoes, drained
  • 1/4 cup Fiesta blend cheese

*Trader Joe's was out of large eggs one week when I went. Boo. So I had to buy extra large. However, because they are larger, I wouldn't use them for baking. Just for egg purposes. 4 extra large eggs = 5 large eggs.


Scramble the eggs with salt and pepper. Push the eggs to the side when they're almost done and saute the green pepper. 



Add the tomatoes and mix together.


Add the black bean burgers or black beans.


Top with cheese and let it melt. Try not to let this process take too long because you don't want to overcook the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.


Place in a tortilla, roll up and eat! I used sour cream to seal mine shut. Not too much, just enough. There was also more eggs than could fit in the tortilla...so we just ate them on the side :)

Nutritional Information (for 1/2 egg mixture made with burgers and 1 WW 8-inch tortilla): 537 calories, 22g fat (8g sat), 51g carbs, 9.3g fiber, 35g protein

Nutrtional Information (for 1/2 egg mixture made with beans and 1 WW 8-inch tortillas): 531 calories, 18.5g fat (7.7g sat), 59g carbs, 13g fiber, 32g protein

Either way, this is a very filling meal. And surprisingly delicious! I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were. I apologize for the lack of posts the past couple of weeks. With finals, I haven't had much time for blogging. But more importantly than that, I haven't had time for experimenting with new recipes or making anything that takes longer than 15 minutes.

Lately, I have been reassessing my nutrition. I check in every now and then to make sure that I am getting enough protein but I don't track it regularly. I am glad to squash the qualms about vegetarians  not being able to get enough protein. I look vaguely at the protein content, mainly for the blog but I haven't been regularly tracking it. But I have regularly been getting plenty of protein, often exceeding the recommendations. I also track my fat daily so that I can be sure that I am getting enough fat. I don't know what it is that makes people think you have to get the fat and the protein from the same place...because you don't. And I'm happy to report that I get enough of that too. ;)

I went a little more in depth that just fat and protein though. I am getting, on average, about 6-7% more carbs than I should be. Which, frankly, is pretty darn good for never even tracking it! But I would like to make that number a little smaller. I am not going to tell you that I think carbs are the devil because I don't. I have long had an opinion that nothing is "evil" (except trans fat...which is really dangerous stuff!) and should be cut out completely. However, I'm tracking all my nutrients for a month to see if controlling my carbs more makes any difference in these last few pounds I've been trying to get rid of for months. We'll see :)

Can you believe there are only 3 days until Christmas?! I sure can't. Maybe it's because it's on a Saturday. Weird. Or because all of the presents were bought and wrapped by December 6th. Haha! Either way, it just feels weird. But exciting nonetheless...holiday baking begins tomorrow! I've already got a schedule and shopping lists all planned out.

Hush. I am crazy. This I understand. :)

0 comments:

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates