Friday, December 10, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Stew

Hello all! I hope you like the new look!! I'm still working on some of the new features but notice the menu bar now has a button for recipes! That takes you to an archive of all the recipes I've posted on here, separated into categories and alphabetized for easy access. There's also a new search feature and new social networking buttons! So be sure to follow me on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook, and subscribe via e-mail to keep your updates coming. :)


Now onto the food! I tried this recipe last year with chicken and remembered that I really liked it. So, I decided to just try it without the chicken and see what happened. Success.

Roasted Vegetable Stew
adapted from a Cooking Light recipe
Serves 2
  • 4 cups, unpeeled, cubed red potatoes (about 3...russet works fine too)
  • 2 cups whole baby carrots (or 4 large peeled carrots, chopped)
  • 1 cup chopped red onion (1/2 large)
  • 2 Tb. balsalmic vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 dried tsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp dried tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup trimmed green beans (didn't have so I left them out, but I sure missed them)
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (veg broth can be subbed but the flavor won't be as good)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 Tb. flour

I have an excellent roasting pan. Top-notch. However, I had never used it because I never roasted whole chickens or turkeys. After turning vegetarian, when I saw it in the cupboard, I was sad that I didn't get to use it. I normally just roast vegetables in a casserole dish but decided to use it for this stew. Never thought a pan could make a difference but WOW. All vegetables were perfectly roasted in 15 minutes less! I am sold on my roasting pan. Which will be used constantly now. :)





Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray a large roasting pan with non stick spray. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, vinegar, oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon rosemary, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well. Roast, uncovered for 30 minutes.


Stir once, halfway through cooking time. Add green beans and roast for 10 more minutes. Meanwhile, pour wine into a saucepan. Add remaining ½ teaspoon thyme and ½ teaspoon rosemary. Bring to a boil. (I know this seems odd but the liquid actually should be hot when added to the vegetables. If the liquid has to get hot, it will undo the crustiness of the roasted vegetables.)



When vegetables are done, pour 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth into the pan and use a wooden spoon to get up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the vegetables and wine to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil.




In a small bowl, combine flour with remaining ½ cup broth and stir until lump-free. Add flour mixture to stew. Cook until stew is bubbly and has thickened, about 3 minutes.

Nutritional Information (for half): 546 calories, 7.8g fat (1.2g sat), 10.8g fiber, 10.8g protein


I served a ciabatta roll with our stew and the crustiness of the roll was just perfect. I didn't have any white wine to use and I could definitely tell a difference in flavor. This stew was good but I know it would have been better with the wine. And those balsamic roasted vegetables? I could just eat those as my meal. To me, there are not many foods that are more comforting than roasted vegetables. Super good.

I'm very excited for this weekend. One of my bestest friends is coming! I'm keeping the food simple because I want to get to spend time with her, not the kitchen. But I will be making a winter spice cake before she gets here and overnight French toast for breakfast! Now off to get all my homework so I have nothing else to do this weekend but enjoy...or maybe sleep on a pile of warm clothes.


Have a great weekend :)

0 comments:

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates