Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Bake Cookies

If you have never been subject to No Bake Cookies, I apologize in advance. These are easy to make, delicious, and so freakin addictive. Dieters, beware.


No Bake Cookies
makes 10-12 cookies
  • 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk (I've used both cow and soy and both tasted the same...soy has less calories, though)
  • 2 heaping Tb. cocoa powder*
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I like chunky because of the addition of nuts but creamy works well too)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats

*Use a good quality cocoa powder. How do you know if it's good quality? It just tastes more like real chocolate when baked and it doesn't loose it's flavor while baking. There's a very popular brand out there that I used to use until I tried other brands and tasted the difference. I don't know why, because the ingredients are the same them but it just tastes better. Trader Joe's brand has an excellent variety with great flavor and is inexpensive. Score!

MEASURE OUT ALL INGREDIENTS PRIOR TO STARTING. This recipe moves fast and doesn't take long so there isn't much time to dawdle with measuring. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. 


Cut butter into small pieces and place in a large saucepan with sugar, milk, cocoa powder, and salt. 


Bring ingredients to a rolling boil while stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat. 


Add in vanilla and peanut butter. Stir until peanut butter is melted completely. Add in oats and combine.


Drop by large spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let sit in the fridge for about an hour before enjoying. 

Nutritional information (per cookie): 200 calories, 8.5g fat (3.5g sat), 30g carbs (2.2g fiber), 4g protein
(This was calculated using soy milk and with a yield of 11 cookies)

These are not "health" cookies. But then again, when I want a cookie, I want a cookie. I don't want something made with mashed black beans instead of oil. Not to mention that homemade treats made with wholesome ingredients, however unhealthy they may be, are still healthier than any treat out of the vending machine. And taste better too. So next time you're tempted to go grab a nutrition-depleted (seriously, that's how they last so long!) twinkie from the vending machine, hold off 'til you get home. Then, if you're still craving something (even though, most of the time I forget...), make a batch of something without chemicals or artificial ingredients and enjoy it

I know that most people completely abstain from treats while trying to lose weight or lead a healthier lifestyle. But I truly believe that treats, when made with wholesome ingredients, are a part of a healthier lifestyle. And I never cut anything out unless I plan to cut it out for the rest of my life. Bread, pasta or cookies? Puhlease. I will reach my goal weight while eating these things so that I don't gain the weight back when these things are added back into my diet. 

I think the main problem that most people have with this concept is the phrase "in moderation". I HATE THIS PHRASE. Seriously. It grinds my bones. Does it make sense when used correctly? Yes. But most of the time it isn't used correctly. People think moderation is only one piece of cake a day instead of two. Four sodas a day instead of seven. For something to be an indulgence, it has to be done/eaten/experienced less often than not.

So, what do you think about the phrase "in moderation"? 

Do you cut out anything when trying to lose weight?

4 comments:

Samantha said...

My husband loves no-bake cookies, and I've been meaning to find a recipe and make them for him. Thanks for sharing; I'll definitely have to give them a try!

I agree with you about "in moderation" and not completely abstaining from treats.

Krista said...

I LOVE no-bakes. And I also may have JUST bought a container of Hershey's cocoa tonight..why didn't I read the post 2 hours sooner?! haha


Also, I share your hatred of the phrase "in moderation." It's so annoying and overused. And I totally agree with you about not completely giving up sweets while trying to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. I could be doing this so much faster than I am if I would give up a lot of the foods I love, but I'm just not willing to do that. I wouldn't be happy, and it wouldn't be sustainable. End of story.

Stephanie F said...

I can't believe each cookie has 8 grams of fat. But it's WORTH IT.

cookies and cups said...

I try and cut out the sugar snacking because once I start....
these cookies look great!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates