Summer is all about burgers....which can be hard for vegetarians. I've had my share of veggie burgers. I've tried just about every. brand. possible. There have been some winners and some losers. I've also tried bean burgers at home a few times. They're cheaper (sometimes!) and less processed but they can also be frustrating and mushy. So, after much trial and error...I've learned a few things and found my favorite black bean burger recipe. It shouldn't be surprising that it's from Mama Pea. ;)
Black Bean Burgers
from Peas and Thank You
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 1/3 c. onion, minced
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 c. oats, ground to a coarse texture
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tb. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
You'll never buy a box of black bean burgers again. It's easy, tastes delicious and is healthier. WIN!
- Always let mixture set 1-2 hours before forming.
- Don't mush beans too much or use a food processor (no matter how tempting!).
- If possible, cook the day before and reheat - this gives the best results. For real!
- Be sure to get your pan hot enough before putting the burgers in or they won't get that nice crust!