Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alexia Harvest Saute with Sausage

Yesterday was a very exciting day. One of my coworkers won a contest on a local radio station for a free limo lunch. So 6 of us ladies at work got to take a 2 hour lunch and ride to a free lunch in a limo. It was pretty sweet! I ate half a veggie quesadilla and tried my first fried pickles and mushrooms. I'm not a fan of fried food (I know, I'm weird) but those mushrooms were the BOMB. Just give them to me without the breading ;)

Then, back at work, we got our "Happy Administrative Professionals Day" baskets at work. I look forward to this all year long. Because I get these fabulous cookies. Once a year, I get to eat the entire sleeve of the best cookies ever and then pass the rest of the goodies out to my coworkers.

Thennn, I come home to a lovely package sitting on my doorstep from my friends at Alexia Foods! More samples for me to try and incorporate in recipes?! YES, PLEASE. I couldn't eat wait a day to try out the first product.


Alexia Harvest Saute with Sausage
serves 2
  • 1 bag Alexia Harvest Saute
  • 1 Tofurky Italian sausage link
  • 4 oz mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets*

*A last minute addition so it's not in the picture but I noticed there was barely anything green so I needed to amp up the veggies!


Thaw the frozen olive oil in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes. Chop mushrooms and slice sausage.


Add oil to a skillet and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage, mushrooms, harvest saute, and broccoli, if desired.


Saute until veggies are cooked and potatoes are browned, about 12 minutes.

Nutritional information (for 1/2): 395 calories, 23g fat (3g sat), 31g carbs (10 g fiber), 19.5g protein

So easy! So healthy! And not to mention so good! I looove easy and healthy meals. This was especially excellent for me because it used up ingredients I already had open in my fridge. I will be looking for these sautes to stock in my freezer for those nights where I just want something easy and nutritious. 

I loved the potatoes in this mix. Normally, frozen potatoes are gummy and don't brown well. These were not like that. They were firm, flavorful, and they browned easily in the skillet. My only complaint would be the lack of green beans. The ones that were there were crisp and perfect...but there weren't very many at all, which is why I added the broccoli. 


What else do I get to try?! Frozen mashed potatoes and a garlic baguette. I'm particularly excited to try the mashed potatoes; the concept fascinates me!

What are your favorite foods to have around for a fast meal?
Mine would have to be veggie sausage/burgers and frozen vegetables!

Disclosure: I received these products from Alexia Foods review. The opinions expressed and recipes used are my own. 


5 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Favorites for a fast meal: egg beaters, frozen veggies, veggie sausages, and quick-microwave brown rice.
Frozen mashed potatoes is crazy...I've never heard of them!

Stephanie F said...

for sure old navy has good socks. it's in their GOGA (i think that's get out, get active) line!

Krista said...

I LOVE fried mushrooms! Um, and fyi the breading is sort of necessary! haha. So. freakin. good.

Stephanie F said...

p.s. thanks for callin' me out about putting a bandana in my belt to TRANSFORM into a pirate. i do what i can. : )

Anonymous said...

Ya know, Krista, I'm really curious what someone would say if I ordered fried mushrooms without the breading. It might be fun just to get the reaction! :)

theAlmostRunner, not a problem! As Jack Sparrow has taught us, all Pirates have a red bandana. ;)

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates