Friday, April 8, 2011

Letting Go with SITS: Workout Perfection

I read a ton of healthy living/fitness blogs. A TON. Like, I can't count them on my fingers and toes. I do this daily. I read about women who work out 7 days a week;  others who find 2 hours in their day to run. Most of the time it's inspiring. It gets my butt to the gym, even when I come up with lame excuses not to go. But sometimes...it can be harmful. Like when I forget that most of these bloggers are lucky enough to blog and write for a living; to make their own schedule. When I forget bodies need to rest to even form the muscles I'm trying to build.

It's so easy to get caught up in working out and losing weight...to the point where nothing but perfection will do. In this mindset, if I skip a day, it is the sole reason why the scale won't budge this week. Somehow, all of the healthy eating and the other 4 days of exercise are erased.

On Wednesday, I was grumpy and tired. My body was sore. I had terrible sleep the previous night. I couldn't  pinpoint any real reason for bad mood. But I had to work out, because Thursday is grocery day, which means I won't have time to exercise then either. That's 2 days straight. However, I've been working out really hard lately and maybe my body was telling me it needed to rest.

On Thursday morning (weigh-in day), I had lost 2 pounds. Resting hadn't erased all my hard work from the rest of the week. Success is possible, even without perfection. So, I'm letting go.

I'm letting go of workout perfection. I'm letting go of feeling guilty because I was too tired or too busy that day. Please, do not confuse this with laziness. I am not letting go of those days when I have no good reason except it would be easier not to. I'm letting go of those days where I stretch myself too thin to even have a successful workout. I'm go of those days where I risk injury because my body feels overworked. I'm letting go and cutting myself some slack.

What will you let go of? #SITSLettingGo


**Please know that I am attacking or quitting my favorite healthy living blogs. They are inspiring and healthy women. I just think it's important for me to stop comparing myself to them and striving to be just. like. them. Healthy for them may not be healthy for me. And that's what's most important: being healthy for me.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I could not have said it better myself.

Like you, I also read so many healthy living blogs that I can't keep them all straight. Sometimes I get jealous that their only job is to blog and workout and eat healthy and post pictures of it and it makes me feel like I'm not doing enough. Then I remember that I'm simply doing the best that I can and that trying to lose weight should not be consuming my life. I've got to find some kind of balance!

Lindsay Rudolph said...

Amen! I am rough on myself about working out too. But your body is telling you the truth. We all need a day off, so give your body a break and feel really great about it! You letting go of workout perfection has inspired me to try to do the same. Thanks!

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

Awesome! listen to your body.

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates