Monday, April 25, 2011

Egg, Bean and Veggie Wrap

Whew. Weekends are the death of my healthy habits. The solution for too many sweets? EGGS and VEGGIES. They never fail to fill me up and get my blood sugar back down to normal levels.


Egg, Bean, and Veggie Wrap
based on Self magazine
serves 2
  • 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 cup frozen peppers mix
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 2 cubes frozen cilantro (or 1/4 cup fresh, chopped)
  • 1/3 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 Tb. fresh lime juice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese

Have I mentioned how much I love the Dorot frozen herbs? They can be hard to find but if you do, grab them! It's so hard for me to buy herbs because they go bad before I use them all...but frozen herbs? I can handle that! :)


In a large skillet, saute peppers and corn until cooked, about 4 minutes. Add beans, cilantro, and spices. Transfer to a bowl and squeeze fresh lime juice onto mixture.


Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Add to a heated skillet and cook until done. Season with salt and pepper


On one side of the tortilla, scoop half of bean and veggie mixture. Top with half eggs and 2 Tb. cheese followed by 2 Tb. salsa. Spread half of Greek yogurt on the other side. Roll tortilla, sealing with the yogurt side.

Nutritional information (1 wrap): 440 calories, 13g fat (4.5g sat), 54g carbs (12.5g fiber), 23g protein

This is pretty much a breakfast burrito. But there are some things that set this one apart. The corn (a surprising addition!), the fresh lime juice, and the greek yogurt. I love sour cream. But it can be hefty in calories. Plain greek yogurt is identical in flavor but less calories, no fat, and more protein!

2 comments:

Krista said...

My healthy habits always seem to take a dive on the weekends too. Especially when I go home and especially when it's a holiday. I'm going to justify it by saying that it's totally normal. haha

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I've already had my eggs and veggies today because of sugar overload on the weekend. Great minds think alike, right?!
:)

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates